The McKinney Community Development Corporation (MCDC) has announced grant awards totaling $50,000 for initiatives and activities in 2017 that enhance quality of life for McKinney residents, attract visitors to the community and promote the city for the purpose of developing new or expanded business opportunities.
Following submission of the grant applications, MCDC board members reviewed the requests for funding and heard presentations from applicants describing the impact of their proposed programs on the community.
“Local dining and shopping in McKinney generates a one-half cent sales tax that is allocated to the McKinney Community Development Corporation. A portion of this sales tax is being used to award project and promotional grants to new and annual events that support tourism and business development in McKinney,” said Kurt Kuehn, MCDC Board Chairman.
Listed below are the grants awarded by MCDC at the Jan. 26 board meeting:
- 3e McKinney – Run for Cover – 1K walk; 5 and 10K runs – April 8
Funding amount: $3,750
- Collin County Historical Society and Museum – WWI Centennial Commemoration – March 2 through Nov. 11
Funding amount: $6,225
- Heard-Craig Center for the Arts – Art Meets Floral exhibit – April 25-28
Funding amount: $3,000
- Heritage Guild of Collin County – 2017 Historic McKinney Farmers Market, Tour de Coop and Killis Melton Ice Cream Crank-off
Funding amount: $12,500
- Kiwanis Club of McKinney – Historic McKinney Triathlon and Kids Triathlon – April 23
- Funding amount: $3,525
- McKinney Main Street – Arts in Bloom – April 7-9
Funding amount: $15,000
- Drop Everything and Read Texas (DEAR Texas) – McKinney Square Book Festival – June 3
Funding amount: $6,000
Applications for the next cycle of promotional and community event grants will be accepted from May 1 through May 31. Visit the MCDC website for information.
About McKinney Community Development Corporation
MCDC is an organization with a mission to promote and preserve quality of life in McKinney, TX. The corporation was established in 1996 when voters approved a one-half cent sales tax to be used to support community and economic development projects that enhance quality of life in McKinney. For more information about MCDC, please visit the MCDC website.
McKinney, Texas, is unique by nature. As one of the fastest growing cities in America, McKinney has a current population of more than 168,000. The city was #1 on the list of Best Places to Live in America in 2014, published by Money Magazine. Established in 1848, the city is located 30 miles north of Dallas and is the county seat of Collin County. McKinney offers award-winning schools, a vibrant historic downtown, diverse housing options, a robust economy and a uniquely beautiful natural setting, with rolling hills and lush trees.